At our university, “university education” in the first and second years of university has been called “educational education” since 2012. It was also a sign of a strong will to make a big difference in traditional education. The beginning of liberal arts education can be traced back to the time when the curriculum of the new university established in 1948 to 1945 was organized into general education and specialized education. The general education that was introduced to give people the general education necessary for modern people is also called liberal arts education, and was responsible for the university education immediately after the entrance. However, with the passage of time, the purpose has become less thorough, and liberal arts education consisting of natural science, social science, and human science has become mainstream. In addition to this, the abolition of the liberal arts department due to the generalization of the university establishment standards in 1991 re-questioned the significance of liberal arts education. At that time, we recognized the importance of liberal arts education and tried to improve it by having faculty members from all over the university take charge of it. It has become. In the universal era when the majority of 18-year-olds enter university, the significance of general education as a basis for fostering various abilities required in the future society has begun to be recognized again. In other words, it has been in the limelight as a place to form the foundation of various abilities such as critical spirit and inquiry ability. Under the agreement that we will continue discussions at our university, break away from liberal arts education, and form the foundation of various abilities required for 21st century society, General as a place for independent learning centered on active learning. I decided to do Educational. And I decided to call it liberal arts education.
Liberal arts education
Overview of liberal arts education
Nagasaki University conducts liberal arts education as follows in order to nurture people who will become leaders in the international community.
- In the essential course of liberal arts education, we will acquire the learning method of university, improve the communication ability in English, etc., and cultivate the ability to think and transmit on our own initiative.
- In addition to respecting scholarship, we will build an attitude of raising and changing ourselves and enlightening each other. We will also improve our ability to search for issues.
- In cooperation with specialized education, we will contribute to the formation of abilities and attitudes to be nurtured in each faculty.
- These liberal arts and professional education are organically combined towards a diploma policy (graduation certification, degree conferral policy).
Contents and goals of liberal arts education
- A person who has basic knowledge as a researcher or a professional profession
- People who can learn, think, insist, and change their behavior
- People who can contribute to the conservation of the environment and diversity
- People who can contribute to the earth, local communities and future generations
In other words, the formation of the foundation of these abilities and attitudes is the goal of our liberal arts education. These have much in common with social basic skills and 21st century skills, specifically the “critical spirit”, “inquiry power”, “teamwork power”, and “two” shown in them. It is a content that fosters abilities and attitudes such as “the ability to move forward.”
Specifically, the “Liberal Arts Seminar” is a transition course to university education, the “Information Processing Course” is to learn the basics of the information society, and the “Health and Sports Course” is to think about health through long-term humans. “English communication” to improve English communication ability, “Beginner foreign language course” to learn Chinese, Korean, French, and German, and the above-mentioned ability and attitude development “University Module Course” and “Undergraduate Module Course”, “Free Choice Course” to respond to your own interests and relationships, and to compensate for the expansion and incompetence of your ability, and also for study abroad It is organized from 8 courses of “Study Abroad Courses” open to all of you. Of these, the most notable is the modular department. This is a course that our university devised on its own, and we believe that it represents the new way of university education.